Tuesday, May 25, 2010

She's on her way...

Some changes have been going on in our larger family. Mom and Dad sold their house and we moved them out of 4408 this past weekend. Until they move into their new home, they are staying with my sister Jolene. But that's for a different post.

Since Cate has been in school, she has had mixed up weeks of where she goes when school is over. Three days she goes to the after-school program; one day she is picked up by Grandpa Ken and Tuesdays have been bus days. Until this week. Today is the first day Mom came over to our house to watch the kids. And Cate couldn't be more excited.

We've been building up to this moment for a long time. Today is the first day Cate is getting to and from school by herself. Ever since Grandma and Papa sold their house, we figured there would be some transition time and the possibility of Grandma watching the kids at our house was a high probability. As soon as we told Cate she wouldn't be taking the bus on Tuesdays, she asked if she could walk home from school. We said we'd think about it.

So last night we agreed she could do it. Then she upped the ante and asked if she could use her scooter to transport herself. I agreed thinking that she would get to and from school that much quicker.

This morning, she was up when her alarm went off and did everything she was supposed to do in order to get an early start. I wrote the note to her teacher informing her that Cate was going home to her Grandma--by herself. I remembered to include the home number just in case.

As we made our final preparations--scooter-check! helmet-check! lock-check! key for lock-check! Oreos-check!--I gave her one final pep talk:

Me: Okay Cate, remember...come straight home when school's out.

Cate: I know, Mom.

Me: And if your friends invite to play at the playground, politely say no.

Cate: I know, Mom.

Me: And come down the street you said you would because that's where we told Grandma you would be coming from.

Cate: I know, MOM!

Me: Okay. Be good and be safe. I love you!

Cate: Uh-huh. Bye!

And away she went, scootering down the street. A straight shot to school. Only two blocks. Watching her confidently go took my breath away. I don't know who grew up more this morning--her or me.

1 comment:

Cate Coleman said...

She's so amazing. Thank you for sharing your story - now I'm tearing up! You're an awesome mom. :)