Monday, May 23, 2011

Legofest 2011

I have no idea how often the Legofest train pulls up into our neck of the woods, but sure enough, Kyle heard about it this year and informed me about it Thursday night. Friday, I was online ordering tickets for the whole family. I was totally bummed in the evening when Kyle was surprised I ordered four tickets, because, "I thought maybe it would be me and the kids and you might have some time to yourself." Shoot! If only I had known that was part of his grand plan as I would have personally been delighted to have some time to myself. Alas, I was committed.


We managed to keep mum about the big event and were able to use our 'surprise' as a negotiating lever during the day Saturday to get the kids to do whatever we needed them to do. Cate begrudgingly did and re-did her spelling words and sentences, Max's listening ears magically worked and even picked up a few things around the house.


Legofest was downtown, so we made a field trip out of it, including having our lunch downtown which required walking through the skyways. That in and of itself was surprise-worthy. Once we were close to the convention center, I told the kids to look around as there clues were showing up. People were leaving the center with LEGO bags, directional signs were posted and one of the digital message boards highlighted the ongoing events. I pointed to one such message board and said, "here's the surprise Cate!" It read: Minnesota Music Teachers Association Concert. She said, "Awwww, really? That's not a fun surprise." Max ended up figuring out quicker than Cate and on we went to Legofest--125,000 square feet of, well, LEGOs.

For me, it was more or less a glorified LEGO store visit which multiplied from a 30 minute visit to a 3-1/2 hour visit. But for the kids and Kyle, it was the best day ever. And that, my friends, is way better than some time to myself.

Although, I'll take Kyle's suggestion as an I.O.U for a future date.


(Kyle helping Cate with the final touches of her house that became part of the giant United States floor map)





(Max and Cate in the huge Lego construction pile [really, I wasn't cringing thinking of all the germs!])


(Max placing his tile to the wall mural)
(Looking very cool after their hair fest)

1 comment:

cbcoleman said...

Jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't clog your blog with too many more exclamation points but they are implied :)