Monday, May 9, 2011

A Sunday Trifecta in May

Yesterday was an amazing day for our little family. Kyle turned 39 with little pomp and circumstance. I promised I would make up for it in the near future.

Most importantly, Cate received her First Communion at a beautiful Mass witnessed by the church community and 20 family members. I am pretty positive that Cate had the largest contingent of loved ones there out of the 10 First Communicants. It was so wonderful to sit across the way and exchange a glance or two from my parents, siblings and friends during Mass.

(the sixteen guests taking up more than one row of seating)


Cate impressed many by her reading of the Acts of the Apostles passage. One of the final pep talks I gave her before Mass started was, "now when you get up there, what are you going to do?" "I am going to read slowly, loudly and with excitement." Atta girl! A few parishioners stopped her afterward to compliment her delivery, which made me a proud momma.


She looked beautiful in her dress made by Grandma LaVonne and her shawl made by Grandma Katie. Other moms admired her ensemble, wishing they knew someone with that sort of talent.

She was reverent and well-behaved, and hardly twisted her face after taking the wine. One of the boys dramatically shook his head due to the distaste. We parents had a good chuckle at that.



(at the altar during Eucharistic prayer)


......



(Our little family)



(with her Godparents, Aunt Jeanine and Kristine)



After Mass, we hosted a reception at my parents' home and celebrated with mimosas, fruit, muffins, sweet breads, scones and parfaits. Young and old enjoyed themselves.


(Cate with her grandparents at my parents' home)


At gift opening time, Cate read all of her cards aloud, which delighted Grandma Katie and enjoyed all the gifts she received. Kyle and I followed the tradition started by my parents and gave Cate a children's bible. My parents gave her a rosary, which they plan to give all of their grandchildren on the occasion of their First Communions. She also received a Holy Spirit medal from her godmother Aunt Jeanine who purchased it in Rome back in 2004 when she was living in Europe. In addition to other wonderful gifts, she was excited for the cash and Target gift cards and was very eager to spend her money as soon as today. Fortunately, Kyle intervened and when she didn't find exactly what she wanted, he was able to convince her to not purchase anything "just because."


And because Cate's First Communion landed on Mother's Day (the third event to fulfill the trifecta), I made several floral arrangements for table centerpieces and gave them away as token gifts for all the ladies' homes. I recycled old International Foods Instant flavored coffee tins, wrapping them in scrapbook paper, trimming them with ribbon and filling them with tulips and roses. I was quite pleased with how well they came together.

Once we cleaned up after the party, delivered our Mother's Day cards, Kyle and I took a nap as the kids watched a movie. It ended up being a very full day, but a very fulfilling day as well.

No comments: