Sunday, September 5, 2010

Corn Meal

I think Max's favorite thing about summer has to be fresh corn on the cob. That little body has been known to take in three ears of corn. So whenever we go to the store, Max begs us to get corn and starts picking them out even before we can say yes or no. We've stopped saying no because he just sobs and who really can say no to a boy who wants a (starch) vegetable.


This evening we had marinated flank steak, roasted potatoes on the grill and corn on the cob. I will admit that I am still a novice cook, so I have to flip to page 380 in my Betty Crocker cookbook in order to remember whether I need to put the corn in before or after the water boils, how long I let the corn cook and whether it should be covered or not covered.


When Kyle said he was going to shuck the corn, I asked Max if he wanted to help. He jumped off the couch and said, "YES!" and ran out the back door. He concentrated very hard and peeled down three of the eight ears of corn, leaving Kyle to finish them off.

And to no one's surprise, all he wanted for dinner was corn.

No comments: