Thursday, July 23, 2009

I Feel Very Silly

Yep. I am getting more and more scatter-brained.

This evening, Kyle was pulling together everything for recycling day tomorrow and he cleared out empty diet coke cases from the fridge. After coming back upstairs to get some more, he remarked we were out of pop. And off he goes to his guys' night out.

Fast forward a couple of hours...the kids are finally down for the count in their room. I'm ready to settle in to watch crappy TV (You Think You Can Dance) and fold laundry (four loads from a week-and-a-half ago) with a nice can of cold Caffeine Free Diet Coke. I open the fridge and see the empty shelf and freeze. No more pop. I can't go out because the kids are now asleep. What do I do?

Update my Facebook status: Jennifer Iverson Jensen just reached into the fridge and shrieked--there's no more diet coke. must. not. panic.

Not more than 20 minutes later, there is a knock on the door. Cate Coleman shows up with Diet Coke and Caffeine Free Diet Coke. My savior.

We hang out about 30 minutes and then another knock on the door. This time, it's Cate's husband Patrick stopping by for a visit. He decided to get out on the road with his bike and his ride ended up at my house.

As usual, I put off figuring out what I was going to make for a pot-luck picnic at work. I looked in the cupboard and saw a box of brownies. I reached into the fridge to grab my yogurt for the brownie mix, and....wait a second. What did I spy there? Two cans of Diet Coke on an upper shelf. Ugh! I brought in the Colemans to show them what a scatter-brain I really am. They had their enjoyment in that. Then they turned to the other side of the kitchen and started washing my dinner dishes.

E-gads! It's hard to be gracious and accept the act of kindness, and so I sit here still with a silly half-smile.

They are such good friends.

Wednesday nights are much cooler now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

well the Colemans would sure understand "scatterbrain" - they have LOTS of experience.

The Coleman Family said...

I saw your Facebook status and called out the window to Cate. We almost didn't make the Diet Coke Fairy connection.

kathall said...

what good friends to come to your rescue with diet coke. those are the important things in life!

Jessica said...

You better shake off that silly before bowling ...