Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Pretty Darn Good Friday

Max lost his first tooth Friday. That tiny little tooth was dangling for several days before it finally came out on its own sometime during the school day. He didn't tell his teacher, so there was no pomp and circumstance, no visit to the nurse's office and no cool tooth box from the school secretary. He quietly put it in his backpack until he got to his grandparents' house where it rather was unceremoniously dropped into a plastic bag to take home and place in The Tooth Fairy Pillow.

When I got home, Max must have saved his excitement for me, because he knows I've been eager for his first tooth to come out. He greeted me with a huge grin and I replied with a squeal of delight which he didn't appreciate. I got the low-down from him and begged to get a photo of him showing off his new gap, but he wanted nothing to do with it. He was playing it too cool. "I don't know why you're so excited, Mom" was his sentiment.

At bedtime, Max put his tooth in the pillow and asked me to put it at the end of the bed so he didn't accidentally kick it off with his feet. Agreeing that was a good idea, I set the pillow at the foot of the bed. I fully expected to have a very happy kid jump on our bed Saturday morning showing off his two shiny golden dollars, but that did not happen. I went upstairs and after waiting several minutes for Max to tell me the Tooth Fairy came, I finally had to ask him. Nonchalantly, he said, "yeah."

Me:    Did the Tooth Fairy leave you anything?
Max:  Yeah.
Me:    Well, what?
Max:  Oh, just some coins.
And he went back to playing with his stuffed birds, clearly not interested in continuing on such a dull conversation.

Kyle finally got this shot of him later in the day.

In other news, I achieved another career milestone at ShopNBC. I was recognized with a promotion to a Director position. It's more or less same gig, but higher expectations and a few more opportunities to broaden my e-commerce experience. I'm looking forward to the new challenges this opportunity brings.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Great tooth story. When Julie lost her first one, I suggested she put it under her pillow for the tooth fairy and she said, "I DON'T WANT ANY FAIRIES IN MY BEDROOM!!!" Then she proceeded to HIDE the tooth, so the tooth fairy did not find it and she was disappointed to find the tooth in the morning and no money. So I suggested a hiding place for the second night, and the tooth fairy was able to find it.

CONGRATS, Director!!! Sounds pretty impressive...and you deserve it.

Hugs from Alaska...